Friday 10 April 2015

Bents Garden Centre

I can't cope with gardens. As far as I am concerned they are a waste of a good parking spot. Why fill your garden with plants and flowers that then attract bees and wasps which means you're unable to actually sit in your garden?

Bloody stupid, if you ask me.

It follows, then, that I am not a big fan of garden centres. Bents Garden Centre in Glazebury has a redeeming feature though - its cafe/restaurant. Or, as you are constantly reminded by the adverts and literature, it's 'award winning' cafe/restaurant.

The food is really rather good. Premium quality - at a premium price. It's cheaper to go just about anywhere else to eat than Bents'. This is why it is 'special treat' only.

So, having paid close on £14 for a pork pie salad (and very nice it was, too) I finished off my meal with a slice of coffee and walnut cake. I knew they do this - they've always had it before...  but there were none on display.

Having resigned myself to no dessert I decided there was no harm in asking and, lo and behold, they had a 'couple of slices around the back'. Sorted.

The cake has a double filling - but very thin icing (although the fondant whirl is topped with a chocolate covered coffee bean which is a nice touch). The sponge is delicious and dark but the whole thing together was rather too sweet for my taste. and the price... oh, my word, the price!


Price: £4.20
Walnut Garnish: Yes
Walnut in sponge: No
Sponge: 9/10
Icing: 6/10
Filling 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment